Measurement & Verification
M&V is integrated into all of Legacy’s energy efficiency projects. Through detailed studies and extensive use of sub-metering, we develop an accurate energy-use baseline for comparison. This ensures that:
- Progress towards greater efficiency can be monitored and documented;
- Maximum incentives and subsidies can be received on energy-efficiency projects;
- Project Payback, ROI and NPV can be accurately calculated in order to prioritize capital allocation for similar projects in the future.
Measurement and Verification (M&V) is meant to confirm and ensure the sustainability of actual energy, gas or water savings achieved through any energy efficiency project. M&V is the perfect tool to address client and supplier concerns in energy efficiency project management.
Main M&V Analysis Parameters
- Consumption variables: all parameters such as energy consumption, degree-days, temperature sensors, level sensors or any other variables impacting energy consumption.
- The baseline: consists in obtaining data for a given period prior to any changes to ensure a reliable energy consumption baseline.
- Baseline adjustment: becomes the expected consumption with reference to the baseline. Using past consumption, it is possible to produce a forecast and compare it with actual data subsequent to the implementation of energy savings project.
Approaches to Measurement
Option A: - Retrofit isolation – measurement of key parameters
Option B: - Retrofit isolation – measurement of all parameters
Option C: - Whole facility
Option D: - Calibrated simulation
Main M&V Advantages
- Risk management tool in energy efficiency projects
- Performance monitoring in energy efficiency projects
- Excellent financial accounting tool
- Justification and demonstration of energy savings
- Sustainable long-term savings